Did you know clean air has its own personal chemistry profile?
According to the British Columbia Ministry of Environment, pure, breathable air in its natural state has this composition:
- 78% nitrogen
- 21% oxygen
- >1% other gasses
- water vapour (humidity content varies by season)
When nitrogen and oxygen levels drop and the percentage of other gasses rises, air becomes increasingly more toxic to humans, pets, and wildlife.
Many natural processes as well as terrain changes from province to province can contribute to worsening air quality. As well, personal action, such as carpooling and planting trees, can greatly improve local outdoor air quality.
To improve and maintain indoor air quality, however, requires an extra set of steps. In this post, learn what you need to do this year to enjoy pure, clean, breathable indoor air.
Make Your 2017 Clean Air Resolutions
Here at Clean Air Solutions Hamilton, we believe that each one of us can make a difference in the quality of the indoor air we breathe at work and at home.
Here are some easy resolutions that could improve your indoor air quality in 2017:
- Telecommute, bike, carpool, or use public transit one day each week.
- Decrease the heat by 1 or 2 degrees, and further when your home is empty.
- Upgrade to Energy Star-certified efficient appliances as the need arises.
- Recycle, reuse, and donate to cut down on landfill waste.
- Go paperless at work.
- Start a compost pile and plant your own organic vegetables.
- Unplug electronics when not in use.
- Decorate your office and home with houseplants.
- Change the air filters in your HVAC system monthly.
- Pick out a reusable glass or stainless steel water bottle to cut down on plastic use and waste.
- Opt out of toxic commercial cleaners and air fresheners and go natural instead.
In reading through this list, notice which items spark your interest or start a little flame of inspiration. Pick one or two of these and you can start making a difference in your own air quality today!
How to Know Air Pollution is Making You Sick
Poor indoor air quality has been linked to a variety of health issues, including these:
- Increased asthma attacks
- Worsening allergies
- Lung cancer
- COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease)
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- Heart conditions
It is also known that air pollution-based allergies, asthma, respiratory, or heart problems can produce these and other health symptoms:
- Dizziness, light-headedness, and/or nausea
- Chronic coughs or sneezing
- Breathing difficulties, including wheezing and shortness of breath
- Eye, nose, throat, and skin irritation
- Sinus issues and mucous discharge
- Swelling in extremities
- Pain in arm or chest
- Irregular or racing heartbeat
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, it is important to know that the quality of the air you are breathing CAN make a measurable impact on your health. In other words, when you clean up your indoor air supply, you will feel better too.
3 Steps to Clean Up Your Indoor Air FAST
It is a scientific fact that small daily air improvement actions can add up to big positive air quality changes over time.
But if you are experiencing allergies, respiratory challenges, or any other health issues that have been linked to poor indoor air quality, you may be eager to clean up your indoor air NOW.
These 3 steps are what we suggest if you need to take quick action to clean up toxic indoor air:
- First, order an air quality test. This unobtrusive 72-hour test will tell you what toxins you are dealing with, from carbon monoxide to ozone to mould or dust mites.
- Next, schedule an air duct cleaning. In just one day, you can hit the “reset” button on your indoor air quality by removing toxins and debris trapped in your air duct system.
- Get your dryer vents cleaned out. The same toxins that are trapped in your air ducts can get stuck in the deep vents inside your clothes dryer. This is why we recommend having both services done together.
3 Steps to Maintain Your Clean Indoor Air
Having your air ducts and dryer vents professionally cleaned and serviced is like giving yourself a gift that lasts all year long.
But this gift will last that long only if you continue to keep your indoor air free of toxins from here on.
Luckily, it is very easy and affordable to maintain the clean, fresh air you are now enjoying.
In addition to adopting the resolutions listed in this post, we recommend taking these 3 steps to maintain the purity of your indoor air:
- Bring in HEPA-rated filters and/or filtration systems. HEPA filters can remove up to 99.97 percent of airborne toxins from your indoor air.
- Ventilate your indoor air. Floor fans, ceiling fans, and open windows and doors are all good for ensuring your air is continually being freshened and re-oxygenated. Adding a heat recovery ventilator to your HVAC unit can give your ventilation a big boost.
- Keep your indoor air humidity levels balanced seasonally. By keeping your indoor air humidity levels between 30 and 50 percent, you maintain optimal respiratory health regardless of seasonal temperature-related humidity spikes and drops.
Contact Clean Air Solutions Hamilton for Help
The quality of our local air is something that affects each of us. We know there can be a learning curve when you are first striving to clean up your own indoor air at home or at work. Here at Clean Air Solutions Hamilton, our business is to research air quality issues and options so you don’t have to.
If you need help purifying your indoor air, call on us! You can reach us at 905-544-2470 or online.